The Low Down
- Rinowood™ is an extraordinary hardwood tree found in abundance throughout Central and South America. It has been imported into the United States for over 50 years as the preferred material in the building of marinas and boardwalks. Today, it is the fastest growing choice of hardwoods for decks, docks, and piers in the United States due to its uncanny longevity.
- Remarkable for its tight grains and high natural oil content, Rinowood holds the distinction of being the densest commercially sold wood in the world. It naturally resists deterioration due to rot, decay, insect infestation, salts, and caustic chemicals. It is five times harder than cedar, 70% stiffer than hard maple, possesses a fire rating similar to concrete and steel, and carries the distinction of being able to trap and hold carbon even after harvesting. As the wood naturally weathers, it takes on light silvery gray tones unless an oil or sealer is used to preserve its dark, rich natural colors.
- All of our hardwoods are sourced using sustainable forestry practices monitored by local governments, the U.S. Government, and third party non-governmental organizations with the sanctity of good forestry practices in mind, and where positive social labor laws are enforced.
Staying Ahead of the Elements
Messmer's UV Plus Oil for Hardwoods™
- For best results, after making sure the wood is dry and clean of dust or dirt, apply one coat of oil with a clean brush or rag.
- Quickest way to bring the dark, rich tones out of Rinowood.
- Widely considered the best choice among experts in the hardwood industry.
Messmer's Wood Cleaner & Wood Brightener™
- Clean the surface of your Rinowood furnishings with a hose or power washer, enough to remove any dust and dirt.
- Apply the Wood Cleaner and Wood Brightener formula by dissolving it into a bucket of water, followed by a thorough scrubbing of the furniture.
- After briefly letting the solution absorb into the wood, use a power washer to rinse the surface off, then turn it on high to strip off the gray/weathered layer for smaller items, sanding with a 220 grit sand paper will also do the job.
- The cleaned wood will have a rich, vibrant appearance—and as it dries, the wood will be remarkably different. Now you are ready to re-apply the oil finish to bring the "just-bought" look back to your furniture.